Speculaas Recipe, How to bake a typical Dutch cookie
During the 17th century spice arrived in the Netherlands on a large scale. This was all due to the great trade over seas at the time. All bakers embarked on experimenting with the "speculaas" spices. These exact recipes were kept secret. At the end of the 19th century new techniques were applied. In this way, the recipes were subject of reinvention. Nowadays, these recipes are still being used, so you can bake and taste the true dutch cookie drom the 17th century.
- 100 grams / 350 oz of self-baking flower.
- 50 grams / 175 oz brown sugar.
- 40 grams / 145 oz of butter
- 2 tablespoons of milk
- 1 teaspoon of gingerbreadspice
- 1/4 spoonful of salt
- cookie moulds
Lets Get Started:
- Preheat the oven to 175 degrees celsius / 347 degrees fahrenheid
- Grease the mould with oil.
- Mix the self-baking flour, salt and spices.
- Add the brown sugar, butter and milk.
- Knee everything thoroughly with you hands.
- Press the dough into the cookie mould. Remove excess dough.
- Remove the dough out of the mould.
- Bake small cookies 6, medium 10 and big ones 15 minutes.